Monday, January 14, 2013

Dealing with young adult children.......

Dear Diary,

Currently I am at the stage where I have my own young adult children (17 and 20, to be exact). People who close to me told their advice for getting along well with my children - after they are grown.

And just about everyone had exactly one piece of advice: When in doubt, don't interfere with them.  When they are gone, let them go.

The main advice to maintain good relationship with your young adult is to give them their own life.  Let them make their own decision and don't demand to much on them.  Don't ask to much of them, just be there for them when they need you.  Try to laugh with them.  And certainly you can give advice but don't ever tell them what to do. Because I think your guess is as good as theirs.

I always bared it in mind, it is their life and it's not my life.  I  lived my  life the way I wanted to.  I believes in the non'interference' principle, unless they are the one who come to me for advice.  As I say, they all have their own way to do things and if they get in trouble and they want some help, they will come to me.  That's all.

I have taken this advice to heart.  I must say that it is hard for me not to give advice, but I have learned to wait until my kids ask!

Signed off for now
LOLA


No comments:

Post a Comment